This Focused Issue on “Carotid Artery Stenosis and Stroke – Prevention and Treatment Part I” is edited by Kosmas I. Paraskevas, MD, PhD, from Department of General and Vascular Surgery, Central Clinic of Athens, Athens, Greece.
Dr. Paraskevas completed his training in Vascular Surgery in 2012 in Athens, Greece. He subsequently worked for 5 years in the United Kingdom where he held several positions in Vascular Surgery in tertiary hospitals in London, Liverpool, Sheffield, Bristol, and Newcastle. In these hospitals, he received further specialized training in complex aortic, carotid and lower extremity arterial surgery.
He has published more than 275 articles in international, peer-reviewed journals and he is the 1st author in more than 225 of these articles. His personal Impact Factor is more than 1,300 and his articles have received more than 3,000 citations. He has co-authored articles with well-known vascular surgeons and physicians from Europe, the United States, Canada, and Australia. His main interests are the management of carotid artery stenosis and abdominal aortic aneurysms.
Following his post-graduate training in the UK, he has recently returned to practice vascular and endovascular surgery in his home country, Greece.
Focused issue outline:
- Management of Acute Stroke and Stroke-like Episodes After Carotid Revascularization Procedures
- Imaging Features of Carotid Artery Plaque Vulnerability
- Management of Asymptomatic Carotid Stenosis
- Optimizing Outcomes in Patients with Carotid Stenosis: Where Are We Up To?
- Management of Internal Carotid Artery Near-Occlusion: The Need for Updated Evidence
- Impact of Cerebral Ischemic Lesions on the Outcome of Carotid Endarterectomy
- Cholesterol, Carotid Disease and Stroke: What a Vascular Surgeon Needs to Know
- Magnetic Resonance Imaging of Carotid Plaques
- Relevance and Impact of Cerebral Small vessel disease on carotid endarterectomy
- Management and Prognosis of Acute Extracranial Internal Carotid Artery Occlusion
- What does Neurosonography Add to the Management of Internal Carotid Artery Stenosis - A Systematic Review
- Role of Mesh-Covered Stents on Prevention of Peri-CAS Brain Lesions
- The Predictive Value of Leucocytosis and Post-Stroke Infections in Ischemic Stroke Patients with Carotid Stenosis
- Why Are We Still Debating Criteria for Carotid Artery Stenosis?
- Asymptomatic Carotid Stenosis and Risk of Stroke (ACSRS) Study: What did it show and how did it influence clinical practice
- The Management of Carotid Restenosis. A Comprehensive Review
- Carotid Intraplaque Hemorrhage: Pathogenesis, Histological Classification, Imaging Methods and Clinical Value
- P-Medicine on Carotid Endarterectomy and Stenting
- Systematic Review of Perioperative Antiplatelet Therapy in Carotid Interventions
- Risk Stratification in Patients with Asymptomatic Carotid Artery Stenosis
- Triple Neuroprotection during Emergency Carotid Endarterectomy for acute vascular stroke patients post 24 hours opportunity window and failed tPA with hypothermia, controlled hypertension and barbiturate infusion during emergency carotid endarterectomy: A systematic literature review
- Silent Downstream Imaging Markers of Carotid Artery Disease
- Cervical Carotid Artery Stenting versus Angioplasty in Tandem Lesions during Intra-arterial Treatment in Patients with Acute Ischemic Stroke
- The Conundrum of Asymptomatic Carotid Disease - Determinants of Clinical Decision and Evidence
- Cervical carotid artery tortuosity and dilation as an imaging marker of heightened vascular risk
- Diabetes Mellitus and Carotid Artery Disease.